Friday, September 7, 2007

A busy week

It has been a busy week for me and Trish. We were all over Nagoya. We went to Nagoya Castle in the north, the aquarium in the south watching dolphin shows and went to a cultural exchange meeting in the east. Other than a little tired, I think Trish actually quite enjoyed the excursions. Mom certainly did.

A group of Japanese guides led a few of us gaijins for the Nagoya castle tour. There were 6 of us foreigners but I think well over 30 guides. The tour was meant for the Japanese guides to practice their English on us. That was the second time we were there, but the first time that I actually know what I am looking at and the history around the castle, like how the stones of the wall were carved with specific symbols representing the Lords who built them. It was quite interesting actually. Other than that, it was the most relaxing tour I've had having Trisha by myself. The guides were helping me carrying her, pushing the stroller, taking my backpack, fanning us and even had umbrella over us at all time that we were under the sun. Talk about VIP treatment.

The aquarium was an impromptu trip suggested by a friend that I met here. Set against the port of Nagoya as the backdrop, I'm sure the sunset or sunrise there will be stunning. The dolphin show was the highlight. We were at the very first row. With the weather so hot, I thought a few drops of water splattered by the dolphins wouldn't be too bad. Apparently, Trisha had a different idea. She was startled when we were splattered and started crying. Hmmm... you'd think that I should know that by now considering my one year experience of being a mom.

Today we went to a cross cultural exchange association meeting. It's a group made up by half Japanese and half gaijins. There was free baby sitting, the main reason I joined:))) so I left Trish to fend for herself while I slipped down to enjoy the "Rakugo" - traditional Japanese story telling. It was pretty hilarious; it was like stand up comedy other than the performers was kneeling down on a cushion. Having enjoyed myself, I went and picked up Trish to find that she was playing nicely. I might do that more often now....

1 comment:

eileen said...

Hi Joey,
Got the link ot your blog via Cindy. Great to read that everything is going great and you guys are having such a good time in Japan. I personally love Japan and had a really good time there.
Regards,
Eileen